I shouldn’t cross post everything from my food blog to here, but this summer favourite is highly recommended! Make sure you choose nice ripe avocados, they’ll be soooo much tastier!
This is one of the best summer recipes I’ve seen in a long time, posted by Tequila Mockingbird. I’ve “cleaned up” the recipe format but essentially, it’s still her version.
Grilled avocado with balsamic vinegar
- 4 ripe avocados
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Really good balsamic vinegar *
- Parmesan cheese **
* If you invest in really good balsamic vinegar, your life will be a much better and happier place. really. really high quality balsamic vinegar is a transformative elixir that makes everything from strawberries to lettuce to chicken to, well, avocados, taste like ambrosia from on high.
** Stop using that crap in the plastic jar. it’s not parmesan cheese. it’s crap. buy a hunk of quality cheese and a grater. it’s not quite the elixir that quality balsamic is, but it’s damn near close.
- Peel, pit and halve the avocados
- Brush them with a little extra-virgin olive oil and some of the balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the grill to medium heat
- Put the avocados face down on a hot open grill for about a minute; turn and cook for another minute or so [although i like to cook them a little longer; until they get the dark grill marks on them and the balsamic starts to carmelize just a touch…mmmmm]
- Remove from the grill and shave parmesan over them while they’re still warm