No one can deny advertising lives off of stereotypes. The past few years, men have really taken a beating in advertising, usually being shown in a rather unflattering light.
“Men are tired of their portrayal in advertising, according to a new book by Michael Buerk.
Writer John Camm has drawn up a list of seemingly unwritten rules which, he concludes, might as well be the Advertising Bible.”
Here are some of the best ones written by the authors as well as the BBC News readers…
- Mums are often harassed but NEVER depressed/unable to cope.
- Women never merely hop in and out of the shower, instead preferring to act out some sort of soapy Dance of the Seven Veils.
- Science’s most important applications are smoothing out wrinkles and making hair shiny.
- Yoghurt-based products can change your life. Want to be a brilliant dancer? Have a yoghurt! Want to do away with your natural preference for *attractive* members of the opposite sex? Have a yoghurt! Want to avoid heart disease? Don’t bother with all that boring giving-up of stuff, have a yoghurt!
- Driving in a brand new car leads immediately to all other traffic being kept off the road.
- The last thing to emerge from an upended box of breakfast cereal is one perfect flake.
- Public transport is a beautifully clean and relaxing way to travel and you’ll always be able to flirt with an attractive member of the opposite sex.
- Women are unable to remove their glasses without shaking their hair down in slow motion.