As Canada Day is coming soon, I thought I’d celebrate by posting this list Darren put together of bizarre questions asked by tourists visiting Canada… They MUST’ve been American. 😉 (All credit to Darren for absolutely making my day with these!)
1. Where is the Moose Hall in Duncan?
2. With the earthquake in L.A., is it safe for me to visit Victoria?
3. Do you have fireworks on the fourth of July?
4. Do you have a list of all the asparagus farms in Saanich?
5. Are there any dog sled rental places around here?
6. How much do your totem poles grow each year?
7. Does this flag come in any other colours?
8. Where’s the tunnel to Seattle?
9. Upon seeing a clock with Roman numerals in the info centre – are those Canadian numbers?
10. I’m calling about this Kill-a-Whale thing. What do you do with them after you kill them?
11. How far are the Butchart Gardens from Disney Land?
12. Is this toll-free number costing me anything?
13. What is the exact distance between Victoria and the Three-Valley Gap Ranch in Revelstoke?
14. Is this a live person?
15. Upon being quoted a price in Canadian funds – oh…how many dollars are in a fund?
16. Where can I find a cricket bat appropriate for a seven year old?
17. Can I get the number for Tourism Istanbul?
18. Where can I find Butchered Gardens? (they mean Butchart Gardens)
Further, I’m adding some of the gems his readers commented:
1) Upon looking at a sweatshirt that had UVIC displayed on it.
Where is the “University In Canada” located? (It’s actually University of Victoria)
2) When do the buffalos run and can we make reservations?
3) You speak very good English for a Canadian.
1) We came to Canada to see what poverty was like. (Apparently, there’s no poverty in the US, and they have very strange vacation ideas.)
2) Does this work on Americans? (Asked while holding a bottle of Tylenol with the label “#1 for Canadians”.)
3) Does this work outside of Canada? (Asked while holding a CALENDAR. Perhaps they think we have metric years.)
4) Is that Wayne Gretzky? (Asked while pointing at the statue of George Vancouver atop the legislature)
And this conversation:
Tourist: What is all that beeping at the crosswalks?
My friend: Oh, that’s a signal for the blind.
Tourist: You let blind people drive here???