A Meme – It's been a long time

A blogger’s guilty pleasure, filling in a meme. I’ve got an immense backlog of things I want to post, as many personal ones as great marketing finds and business ideas. But it’s like having the choice between a double spiced rum and coke or a glass of water, I’ll choose the one that pickles my brain and leave the healthy stuff for later.

I found this meme on Keris Stainton‘s blog, she’s another Shiny Media writer who I’ve yet to meet (Hi Keris!).

So here goes nuffin’…

10 years ago
I was about to turn 15, starting high school in Ottawa, feeling a whole lot less street-wise than my city friends. Massive crush on Simon. *cringe*

Had already created my first two websites, knew I had some sort of interest in Internet-related things and media. Wasted a hell of a lot of time on the NCF chat rooms, then meeting with the local troublemakers on Saturdays on Rideau roof.

5 years ago
About to turn 20, I was only days away from meeting Andrew for the first time. It was the beginning of a whole new era of my life, revolving around moving to the UK.

Beginning my 2nd year of University, and getting that real urge to work in the real world and knowing I wouldn’t settle for a steady-but-boring job with the federal government like half my Uni friends would do.

1 year ago
Having a good 5-day weekend, with some Canadian friends visiting.

A couple of month into my new job at Active Hotels, feeling much more at home there than at Pearson Education.

Reflecting on Katrina.

5 songs I know all the words to
There are too many… but here’s a varied bunch randomly out of iTunes

• Corinne Bailey Rae – Trouble Sleeping
  • The Cardigans – And Then You Kissed Me II
  • RENT – Take Me Out Tonight (oh that brings back memories…)
  • Jamiroquai – Seven Days in Sunny June
  • Lara Fabian – Bambina

5 Snacks

• Sunblushed tomatoes and brie on crackers
  • Wasabi peanuts
  • Homemade peanut butter and chocolate chips cookies
  • Rice crackers
  • Mango cut up into pieces

5 things to I’d do with £100 million

• First, I would buy an enormous old farm and get it entirely renovated to keep a traditional exterior, but do it up contemporary, open and light on the inside. It’d be entirely electronically controlled and a sleek home office. No, in fact, I’d have two big houses, one in Canada and one in the UK so I can live and do business from either continent, while near mine or Andrew’s family.
  • I’d use a big chunk to help promising startup companies get on their feet and grow. They would be working in technology, arts and/or international development.
  • Without a doubt, I’d arrange for my family to travel from Canada to here on a whim in a private plane as often as they like!
  • I’d have my own small summer festival, with Jamiroquai headlining. It’d be the perfect festival, mud by day, comfortable bed to sleep in and cleanliness by night!
  • I would get cooking lessons from professional chefs (even though I doubt I’d do much of my own cooking on a daily basis) and I’d have the luxury of telling Gordon Ramsay to shove it.

5 places I’d run away to

• The old family cottage, in Baldwin Mills, Eastern Counties of Quebec (which I’d re-buy with my millions of course)
  • The japanese countryside always inspires me, but as I’ve never seen it with my own eyes, I don’t know if I’m just making it appear more romantic than it is
  • Montreal in the fall
  • There aren’t many places I’d run off to, I’m quite happy here

5 things I’d never wear

• Leggings
  • Bright red lipstick
  • Those wide sparkly belts, I haven’t got enough waist for that
  • Hotpants shorts, nobody needs the trauma that would be associated to it
  • Those XL men’s tshirts they give out at conferences

5 favourite TV shows
TV’s a guilty pleasure for me, and I try to watch as little of it as I can, but when I do, I let the trash in.

5 greatest joys

• Having had the courage to leave my hometown and move abroad, rather than assume it’s impossible and take up a dead-end job locally
  • Waking up in winter and not having to put winter boots on (is there an anti-Canada theme here? Think nothing of it!)
  • Books and all sources of information – I love learning new stuff
  • Andrew’s sense of humour
  • Having known my grandparents on my mom’s side well while they were alive

5 favourite toys

• My Powerbook G4
  • Nokia N70 phone
  • Airport Express
  • The Octotunes (which… was meant for a friend’s baby, but I’m tempted to buy one for myself!!)
  • Nintendo DS Lite with Bomberman and Super Mario Bros

As I like to do, I always add a new question to Memes that are passed onto me. So here’s a bonus one.
5 things you never thought you’d be doing… (one for each)
10 years ago

Never thought I’d be living in an English-speaking country and be married to an English-speaking guy

5 years ago
Never thought I’d be married by the age of 22!

2 years ago
Never thought marriage would actually be so good and easy!

a year ago
Never thought my working life would be such a rollercoaster

a month ago
Never thought my sister would go home without some weird disease from the Cam river (though it’s still got time to develop, even if she’s back home!)
And never thought I’d be quoted in the Guardian for giving my opinion on blue smoking cats.

Five people I’m tagging
Bah, tagging is rubbish! As Keris said, if you fancy doing it, do it. If you don’t, I’m certainly not offended that you’ve got better things to do! 🙂

8 responses to “A Meme – It's been a long time

1. pa

Fantastique..tu brilles de courage et de bonheur..
    Tu as déjà portée des T-shirts L ( j’ai encore celui du Franco ou FESFO..)
    Joelle est passée par Baldwin en camping solo à Couacouaticook..elle a (re)montée le Pinacle!
    Je garde des souvenirs extraordinaires du lac, parce on était en famille..(enfin, il pleut ..on va à la bibliothèque!)
    Bye..xoxo

2. Great answers, Vero. Funnily enough I’m hoping to emigrate to Canada (I was born there). The thought of putting on boots bothers me not at all. In fact, I’m happy it’s (almost) Autumn so I can throw out the flip-flops and dig out the boots.

3. Ma

Haaa Véro, il en a coulé de l’eau sous le pont depuis tes 15 ans !! Tes souvenirs m’ont fait sourire: le chalet du Lac Lyster, tes grands-parents, ta premièere rencontre avec Andrew et ton premier séjour en Angleterre… Tes souhaits aussi: un avion privé pour pouvoir te rendre visiter n’importe quand? C’est pour quand??
    J’aime bien te lire. Love U, Maman xoxo

4. Claire

Andrew’s sense of humour? What? You strange girl.

5. Peps

hahaha…

You know, thats what I love about you Claire… your tree trunk legs.

6. Claire

Shut up Jelly Pecs

7. Richard Greenhalgh

Your recent Meme reminded me that you are clearly a fan of Corinne Bailey Rae. It will be a while, I suspect, before her second album comes out; longer still if she breaks the US and (despite the dismal record of UK artists in doing so) my feeling is that she stands a better than average chance. (That she is a true talent is without question; it’s the timing and the market that will matter – it was ever thus!) The problem is that it leaves us with a shortage of new recordings, so here are a few gems to track down… not all easily available.

The 7” vinyl version of Trouble Sleeping has (exclusively), as its ‘B side’ a cover version of ‘The Editors’ 2005 single Munich recorded live by CBR for Radio One’s ‘Live Lounge’ and the vinyl 7” release of Put Your Records On had a studio version of ‘Led Zeppelin’ Since I’ve Been Loving You as the ‘B side’. Then there is the 12” LP she recorded in 2004, with Leeds’ producer/DJs ‘The New Mastersounds featuring Corrine Bailey Rae’, and finally released by ‘One Note Records’ this year. It features three rather different versions of the track “Your Love Is Mine”; the first is much as one would have expected it to be had it appeared on the album and the third is done as a slightly dance-influenced way. For my money the second version is utterly compelling as she sings it totally unaccompanied.

Getting out of bed
    Sunlight through your hair
    Curtis Mayfield on the radio
    Flowers everywhere.
    Everything’s all right with me
    Because your love is all mine.

Who else, of recent note, could not only have written those lines but also make them sound so utterly convincing? Like A Star was a providentially titled single, when it was first released in 2005, even if at the time it made very little impact in the marketplace!

It also reminded me that I should post comments more often and, ideally, write my own blog too. A very early resolution for New Year resolution 2007 – being realistic it allows space for learning, research and above all self-motivation process.

Keep up the good work!